About Black Sand
- In the 19th century, Black Sand Ku'e (BSK) was a loose association of kahu and kahuna dedicated to the practice of an ancient lua handed down from the Paaoa clan.
- In 1893 the Black Sand Hawai`i (BSH) SEAL was created by BSK in support of the Hawaiian Nation and of the Queen.
- In 1895 BSK goes underground after the failed rebellion of the Iron Duke, Robert Wilcox, that resulted in the imprisonment of the Queen amongst others, and several untimely deaths.
- In the 1980s, Black Sand Hawai'i (BSH) seal recovered in the papers of 102-year old ex-fireman and poet Louis Kuemanu Kahawai, and BSH resurrected as a lifestyle and surf design company by the favorite son of the daughter who cared for him.
- Black Sand and BS Rules tee-shirts, jackets, sports caps, and surfboards designed and sold at places like Ehukai Beach, Waimea, Sandys, Ma`ili and Waikiki out of an old Chevy van and the trunk of a banged up but reliable gray Toyota Corolla.
- BSH sponsors Hawaiian professional racquetball players and local bodysurfers the Britos brothers.
- 1986, Black Sand holds its first Art Exhibition at Kewalo Street in Makiki, O`ahu.
- In the 1990s, Black Sand Productions Inc. (BSP) established to develop cinematic, animation and electronic media projects.
- 1993, BSP original screenplay Kilauea wins the Walt Disney Hollywood Pictures Fellowship Writers Award.
- Black Sand Hawai'i Clothing Company established to sell apparel, surfboards and art work out of Waikiki, Waianae, Hilo, Lahaina, Guam, Los Angeles and South Beach Florida.
- 1996 Black Sand State Outdoor Racquetball Championships held in Waikiki. Scotty Bauman/Big Rod Felton win Open Doubles Championship.
- 1998 The Cat Who Knew Everything art exhibition at Angel City Gym, Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles.
- Black Sand produces Black Sand Chronicles graphic novel.
- Black Sand produces Art Exhibitions at the Waikiki International Marketplace, The Chinatown Art Board, Cafe Che Pasta, Details Downtown Gallery, 1132 Fort Street Mall, Aloha Tower....
- Black Sand Hawai'i Coffee and Tea Company cultivate and package coffee for the Waikiki International Marketplace.
- 2007 Black Sand World Outdoor Racquetball Championships held in Waikiki. Cliff Swain defeats Rocky Carson (Pro Singles Championship). Marty Hogan/Scotty Bauman defeat Rocky Carson/Rob Hoff (Pro Doubles Championship).
- BSP produces Mango Dreams, an independent feature film staring Kamahele, Tiare Thomas, Earl Britos, Moses Goods, Kala Alexander, Tiare Britos, Faith Rawlins, Nainoa Abreu....
- BSP helps curate and produce the Maoli . Art . Pedagogy Art Exhibition Series (MAP) at Hawaii Pacific University Art Gallery. MAP (maoli.art.pedagogy) encompasses a series of exhibitions at Hawai`i Pacific University Art Gallery in Kaneohe, O`ahu that features Hawaiian Artists. Contributing Artists include: Carl Pao, Meleanna Meyer, Kazu Kauinana, Haranani Orme, Al Lagunero, Kahiau Beamer, Lilette Subedi, Solomon Enos, Kahi Ching, Brook Parker, Pete Britos.
Copyright 2015 Black Sand Hawaii